Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Lasting Impression.

This one will be short, I promise.  Before I launch in, I want to mention a few things.

1)  I got a chance to sit down and talk over a scene with Ariel today.  More importantly, I got to peel a few layers back off of her onion of mystique.  I am totally in love with intelligent people when they are genuine and generally awesome all around.  I'm excited to continue working with her.

2)  I got to do, what may be, a final rehearsal with Mr. Andy Talen for 'True West'.  Andy is an pretty spectacular human being; I encourage you to read about my first impressions of him, if you haven't already, and know that he in locked in some sort of state of perpetual awesomeness.

3)  I'm totally listening to Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged session from 1996 on Spotify right now.  I cannot count how many times I listened to this album on repeat in my teenage years.  It is incredible.  If you've never heard it, listen to it now.  It's pretty much the soundtrack of my pubescent years.

4)  According to the stats on my blog dashboard I'm pretty big with users from Russia right now.  So thanks, Russia; stay classy!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Jobs lost his battle with cancer today.  I'm sure you may have already seen one of the many posts about it on the interwebs already. Facebook and Twitter seem to be common grieving grounds for whenever a celebrity passes away, but upon exiting rehearsal and checking the feed whilst waiting for the bus, posts about Jobs' death was the only thing there for me to scroll through.  It hit me.  I was affected.  I thought about how he had stepped down as CEO of Apple only a little over a month ago and how he must have known that he only had a few weeks to live.  How final that is.  How much there would be to do before the inevitable end.  He started and resuscitated Apple Computers, he helped pioneer PIXAR in it's infancy, he was a philanthropist; from a technological standpoint he was a revolutionary artist.  He brought us products that, admittedly, I sometimes deride (too much iPod makes the baby go socially inept); but these products were developed to make our lives better  They were developed to connect us; to give us greater facility to perform the tasks of our day; to make our ives just bait more 'Trek'.  Seriously, go back and watch J.J. Abrams' re-imagined Star Trek and tell me that you don't half expect to see the Apple logo emblazoned somewhere, everywhere on the U.S.S. Enterprise.

I started thinking about my experience at MotMI Sunday, and the Jim Henson exhibit and how similar both of these guys were.  They accomplished notoriety through passion and commitment; they worked to improve life for future generations; they died of cancer too soon, yet their work lived on through the people that they inspired.  That passion and commitment; that drive to make things better; that inspiration lives on. That's a legacy for humanity.  It absolutely astonishes me.  I feel it can be very easy to get caught up in the rigors of the day, to have drive to make it through as nearly unscathed as possible.  Our work becomes about a paycheck, bills, rent, a mushroom quiche with a pretty lady.  It becomes selfish without the intention of becoming selfish, and it becomes easy, for me at least, to forget that what we do here in this world has the possibility to change the world, which is at all points entirely possible except for one: when we forget.  I hope this isn't coming across as megalomaniacal, I don't know if I'm so bold to run in to the street and loudly proclaim that I'm going to save the world, but I think that I am so intrepid as to furtively strive to make it a slightly better place.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little."  
-Edmund Burke


Breathe in.  Beathe out.


-Nix

No comments:

Post a Comment