Saturday, October 8, 2011

Honey Badger Don't Give a Sh!t.

There's a post in the oven right now in response to Anika Chapin's question about what I thought of Memphis in regards to the parameters that I set up in yesterday's post.  My response got... a little out of hand, and needs some refinement before I put it all out there for you to read.  So thanks, Anika... thanks for that.  So I, instead, decided to set down some thoughts about what happened in Kristin's class today with a provocative title to help stave off the "it's Friday, and I'm too busy being awesome to read your blog" blues.

I realized the other day that I've been a little hesitant to mention Kristin's class in any of these posts because it's really difficult to explain.  The whole process feels like a slow burn, and needs bit more time to set in.  Also, I need to finish reading her book.  And then there's the fact that much of what we d there always ends up being incredibly personal to the individual members of the class; I promised myself that I wouldn't share things that weren't any of my business in this format, but I was involved in this particular instance today, so I feel that I can share some of the details from my perspective.

We've been slowly moving through "Trialogues" which are miniature plays written by each class member centered around three natural/mythological creatures that we channeled during a seemingly innocuous physical exercise.  These vignettes turned out to be incredibly revealing about the personality of the person that wrote them.  I hope to share the details with you in full when I come to the end of my personal journey inside this particular exercise, but that's for another time, I suppose.

Today, I got to play a part in Ethan's Trialogue.  He cast me as the Honey Badger, which I peg as type-casting; seeing as how I tend to battle cobras, bees and am constantly getting meal-ganked by roaming bands of jackals, it only seemed the most natural fit.  Unfortunately, out of respect for the sanctity of the class and Ethan, I can't get in to the details of what his personal manifesto, if you will, was all about, but I will tell you that I feel that through the exercise, I not only gained a new perspective on my friend, but also learned a bit about coping mechanisms and personal narrative/mythology building... not just in him, but in myself as well.

My own personal Honey Badger analogue for my Trialogue is a Dragon.  Seeing where the exercise goes (which I will share here when the time comes, I promise) I have been able to spot a few instances in the past couple of weeks where I have with proper, yet perhaps seemingly unjustified provocation, slid into that paradigm (having my wallet rooted through in the middle of class; being touched a lot after scene work... things like that).  I recognize it as a particularly (self)destructive facet of my personality, yet I am tremendously proud of it... after all, it is a dragon, but that facet may need a little love and more than a little refinement.  Besides it reminds me of Game of Thrones and Viserys always talking about waking the dragon, and we all know how that turned out...


In an effort to segue out of getting in to a future post, I think it's important to mention that Kristin had no idea what the honey badger was all about, which only goes to show you that it is possible to be entirely too busy saving the world from bad vocal production to be aware of sensational internet memes.  Maybe one day I'll have an excuse to not know what's happening on YouTube.  Poor transition achieved.  Ha!

That's it for now, check back Monday, and we'll see if I have the stones to finish out my gestating post about Memphis and attitudes on race in contemporary American society.

"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment