Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Winter is Coming.

The title of my post are the words of house Stark in A Song of Ice and Fire, which was my Summertime obsession.  I was just getting into the Dunk & Egg novellas when the semester started and I can feel them staring at me from my desk every time I enter my room.  The only words I have to express how much I want to sneak some time in to finish them is... WINTERFELL!!!

"Did you say, 'Winterfell'?"  -Gendry

"No.  I said, 'Go to hell."  -Arya

I told you I was obsessed...

But as the title of the post suggests, Winter is, in fact, coming.  Fall is so heavy upon us that I'm filled with the excitement of the promise of cooler weather and a little precipitation... if only for the excuse to wear hoodies.  Here in NYC the humidity prevents me from donning my favorite garment for a little less than half the year.  NorCal spoiled me with the ability to rock a hoodie anytime, anywhere.  Everyday I check Google weather and I get a little bit more excited.

What really interests me about the Winter is that when it snows here, it snows.  People tend to huddle together a bit more and hunker down with their favorite friends and coworkers to survive the sleet and cold.  As we were in Andrea's class today, I took a look around the wonderful faces that I get to daily share a circle with and realize that these are the people that I'm truly excited to hunker down with.  People keep saying, "The honeymoon is over.", but I feel that now that everyone is settling in to the groove.  There's a lot to learn still about each other and whether deep in the basement of Schapiro or in the lofty towers of Riverside Church we are going to be given a truly first-class chance to do it.  There's something really magical about the winters here in the city, and I'm excited to share it with my classmates.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives."  -Eddard StarkA Game of Thrones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have another blog cooking right now about Gods and hubris and some ideas formulated today on both subjects in Niky Wolcz's class, but I'm deciding to let it simmer for a bit longer and aim for the scheduler to upload it tomorrow morning (in an effort to catch better traffic to the page).  So this is it for now.  You can thank Kevin Johnston for admitting to me that my general post length is far too long.  He tells me he's happy with about a paragraph before he navigates away.

In other blog related news, I was talking the blog game with Anika Chapin, whose wonderfully charming blog, Bloggledygook, can be found by clicking the link, earlier this evening (posting, stats, format, etc.) and she said, "More pictures!"  So to honor her request, here is a picture of Sir Charles of Wumpus, one of my cats, who still resides in Sacramento, CA (Poor bugger).


Breathe in.  Breathe out.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment