Friday, September 30, 2011

Orestes, Electra, and a Messenger Walk in to a Bar.

Today was probably the shortest day of grad school that will ever occur.  Ever.  I think everyone was a little thrown off before savagely attacking sweet, sweet freedom like a pack of starving hounds on the scent of a fleeing rabbit.

We started off with Niky training at oh-nine-hundred, as is the norm in Friday mornings before being dispersed to our own devices while a few of us were wiring to be summoned by Ulla to work on our Greek monologues.

I'm working on Orestes from The Libation Bearers where he's recounting the plan to murder Clytemnestra and Aegisthus.  I love me some Orestes.  That's a fact.  The house of Atreus is all-around pretty awesome as far as ancient Greek drama goes, but Orestes and Apollo set the tone for modern law.  You really can't get much better than that.

I've been trio-ed with Toni Ann (whom I posted about yesterday) and Ethan "Win" Nguyen (who is a stud, pay attention, ladies).  Toni Ann is working on Titular Electra by Sophocles and Ethan has been working on a monologue from Euripides' Acelestes and stands in as the apogee of awesomeness as Pylades... a friend of the house.  Ulla had us set an empty stage with some random items to play with and commence exploring the space, text, and each other; working through each piece in turn.  I have to say this now: beware of caps...

THIS IS WHAT I CAME HERE FOR!!!

Seriously, this is what I've been waiting on.  Don't get me wrong, so far all of the professors have been incredibly warm, generous, and insightful, but this... THIS is my flavor right here.  We work a little bit (by that I mean I pretend to be Orestes and deliver some poetry); then she says "Stop!"; breaks down some real amazing, simple ideas and then says, "Go."; and we're off again, working, working, working, "Stop!"; and then we repeat the process.  This is my flavor.  I worked like this with Sveta at Cal State, Fullerton.  After that experience, it's the only way I ever want to work in lab.  It is sort of what I expected the entirety of the program to be like, but I am still so excited about what happened today.  Ulla is brilliant.  I mean, truth nuggets fall, fully formed, from her mouth and into your brain.  It is incredible.  I was watching her work with Toni Ann and Ethan (who are incredible, in case you were wondering) after she had finished up with me, and all I could think about is, "I need to work with this woman as much as possible over the next three years.  I want to be her acting-child."  I might be a little in love, I dunno.

That's all for tonight!  It's Friday, and that means I'm taking the weekend off from writing, so look back here Monday for more updates on how things are progressing.  There should be some ripe thought after Larry's added class tomorrow morning and a very special gathering of dudes from the class for "Bro-toberfest" at the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden tomorrow night.


“Success is transient, evanescent. The real passion lies in the poignant acquisition of knowledge about all the shading and subtleties of the creative secrets.”
-Constantin Stanislavski


Until Monday!

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment