Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Language Barriers.

One of the most brilliant things about being part of a program such as this, is that your classmates tend, quite frequently, to not be from where you're from... nationally.

I've been given the chance to work with some truly amazing people from South Africa, Austria, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, China, Puerto Rico, (just to name a few) and parts elsewhere.

One of the things that I've heard mentioned by some of my new friends is the trouble of finding just the right words to express, in a foreign language, "what I mean."  The wonderful, truly wonderful, thing is that even amongst my fellow countrymen here there are still regionalisms and dialectical issues and matters of just finding the best way to express one's self.  And that's what we're here for!

For me it illustrated beautifully something that I myself had often had trouble to relating to other people.

"Why are you doing THEATER?  It seems like a waste of time.  There's no jobs; no money; NO HOPE FOR A FUTURE!!!!!!!!"

To that, I say this: I want to be here; I want to do this specifically because the work that we do here is breaking down the communicative barriers that separate the peoples of the world.  We are honing the tools.  We are aspiring to be one people and have one language, and nothing will be withholden from us which we purpose to do.  I realize that I might be sounding rather irreligious paraphrasing God, but the work that we are doing here is important.  It is direly important.

We all feel.  We all hurt.  We all love.  We all think.  What we don't often do is find a way to communicate those things effectively to one and other.   What I want to do is dedicate my life to adding the word "Together" to the end of the first four sentences of this paragraph, because that's the world that I want to live in.

Class time!

No comments:

Post a Comment